Ages 7 and under
Do you have a little one who already loves horses? Supervised pony rides give young children the thrill of riding and a little horse experience!
Our mini-lessons provide your child the opportunity to pet and/or brush a pony, feed it a treat, and of course go for a pony ride! Each rider will have minimum 15 minutes of hand-led riding time in either the indoor or outdoor arena, plus some extra time with the pony before or after the ride. At the discretion of the trainer after observing the ability of the rider, they will be given introductory instruction in skills such as: correct riding position, balance essentials, how to make the pony stop, go, turn and the opportunity to practice what they just learned by playing various games.
Why MINI-LESSONS are FUN on the PONIES at SHADY CREEK FARM …
- Children often love to brush, pet and feed the ponies as much as they love to ride them – and the ponies definitely love being brushed, getting lots of pats and hugs and eating carrots and apple slices. Feel free to bring treats for the ponies that you can give them when the instructor says it’s snack time!
- Grandparents have a special activity to entertain the grandchildren
- Introduce young children to horses and horseback riding in a fun, positive way
- Wondering if your child is ready for regular riding lessons? Try a mini-lesson first!
- Mini-lessons or a lesson package is a great gift for friends and relatives.
Parents/ Grandparents are welcome to interact with their child during the lesson – and don’t forget the camera!
Before your ride
Download the Riding-Instruction-Agreement-and-Liability-Release and bring with you.
All riders must wear a helmet (provided) and closed-toe shoes (there will be no riding in sandals, flip-flops or crocs) and they will be most comfortable in long pants; however, long pants are not required for mini-lesson riders. You may also want to bring a water bottle.
Full restroom facilities are available on-site.
Scheduling a ride
Reservations are required for all lessons & rides – please use the online scheduling calendar or contact us if you have questions.
Regular Pricing :
Mini-Lesson $25 per rider
*$30 for Siblings (max. 2) to share a mini-lesson – please see note below
$200 for package of 10 mini-lessons
*Siblings may share a 30 min. reservation for only $5.00 additional fee (each child will have a minimum 10 min. individual ride on the pony and they will have a some time together with the pony before or after their riding time). If you would like them to each have a full, individual mini-lesson, please schedule a lesson for each child.